Good Conversation starters are something a lot of people find difficult to come up with.
Not everybody has that gift to come up with good conversation topics. Imagine being in a party or an event where you meet people and wished you could start a conversation with them but found yourself confused about what exactly to say?
Well, most of us have found ourselves in a position where we lack something to say.
Have you ever being to a family gathering where you don’t know most of the people in that gathering? Yeah, gatherings like that can be really awkward.
Well, it doesn’t always have to be so anymore, we made you a list of good conversation starters which you can use in any situation and anywhere to get the other person talking and enjoying your company at the same time.
Good Conversation Starters You can use anywhere in any situation
The following conversation starters can be used in any situation and anywhere, whether it’s someone you just met or an old friend or relation. Its works every time.
1. What Do You Think?
This is a simple question but a very good conversation starter. It helps you put the other person in the spotlight. But for this conversation starter to be effective you need to use it the right way.
For example, imagine you are in a conference and the keynote speaker just finished giving his speech and you are waiting for the next speaker, but noticed someone sitting quietly right next to you and you wanna get a conversation going, you turn to them and say something like this: I thought that speaker was really great. What did you think? The idea here is to introduce something to talk about and at the same time set the tone for the entire conversation.
Sharing your opinion about something allows others to comfortably share theirs and that leads to more things to talk about.
2. Can you do me a favour?
This favour can actually be as little as asking for time or asking the other person to take a picture of you.
Let’s say you are at a networking event, you spot a stranger next to you and you want to start up a conversation, you could shake their hand and introduce yourself, but that might feel like you are popping out of nowhere. What you need is an excuse to start up a conversation.
You could ask them if they know the time or ask them to take a picture of you (Something quick and easy). This favour changes the dynamic of your relationship.
Psychologically it is believed that a person who has already performed a favour for another is more likely to do another favour for the other than if they had received a favour from that person. This method is known as the Ben Franklin effect.
3. Lead with a compliment
These could be any compliment, as long as you mean it. You could compliment them about their shirt, smile, shoes or anything at all.
People are warmer, friendlier, and more receptive to new things after receiving a compliment. And this will make them open up more to a conversation.
4. Question about his/her past
Asking a question about someone’s past is a good conversation starter as long as you keep your questions simple and easy. You can ask them what it looks like growing up, what their childhood looks like and their favourable childhood memory.
This conversation starter is ideal only if you already know the person and not just someone you are just meeting.
This is one of the best conversation starters you can think of because it opens door to many more topics to talk about.
But it’s important to always remember not to cross the line and make it look like an interrogation. Avoid asking personal questions about someone’s parents or other personal related questions.
5. Use your environment
Your environment could be a great way of starting a conversation. One thing you have in common with someone you just met is that environment you meet them.
For example, you could meet someone in a party, you can use the party as a conversation starter by asking them if they are enjoying the party, or how they knew the host of the party. But always remember not to talk about your environment for far too long.
The above conversation starters are good for any type of situation but you could do even better by showing a bit of your sense of humour, with the following funny conversation starters, letting him/her know you are fun as well.
Funny conversation starter
6. If you could only store one type of food in your pocket, what would you carry?
This is a more interesting and fun way to ask “what is your favourite food?” it helps you get to know what kind of food they are into.
7. Who’s your favourite comedian?
With this question, you can even go ahead and share a joke with the person after they must have answered your question. He or she will feel reluctant to share some jokes with you as well resulting to you guys having a good time together. It also helps you know the kind of jokes they are into.
8. If you could do anything illegal without getting caught, what would you do?
This is another good conversation starter because it opens door to several conversation topics to talk about. You might be lucky they might share their inner wishes with you.
9. Have you ever been on a blind date?
It’s a simple conversation starter but there are hints you could pick from the answer you get which you could use to ask more questions.
10. What is the weirdest food combination you’ve ever tried?
This is an interesting one, you could learn other food combination you probably haven’t thought about. And laugh over some food combination.
11. If you were a farm animal, which would you be and why?
This could add more laughter to your conversation, and spark a Lil bit of healthy argument about which farm animal is the best…Lol.
12. What is the worst pickup line you have ever heard?
This is interesting cos she might end up sharing with you what pick up line has ever been used on her.
13. What is the worst first date you have ever been on?
Going out on a date could be a good or bad experience and with this question, you get to know what her worst date is and you could learn one or two things from it.
14. Have you ever been on a blind date?
15. What is your favourite celebrity scandal?
16. What is the worst present you have ever received and why?
17. What is the worst advice you have given?
18. Have you ever stalked someone on social media?
Not all good conversation starters are good for kids, some of the above conversation starters are not appropriate for kids, while some won’t help them express themselves. Below we did some compilation of kids conversation starters that will help you get along with any kid.
Conversation Starters for kids
These kids conversation starters help any parent to get into the mind of their kids. You get to know what they are thinking of and their wishes. These conversation starters are not just for parents alone, any guardian or anybody who takes care of kids can actually get a kid talking with the following conversation starters:
19. If you had a chance to eat dessert for breakfast every day, what dessert would you choose?
This is another way of asking a kid what is your favourite dessert? You get to understand what their favourite meal is as well.
20. If someone gave you 20 dollars, what would you buy with it?
This helps you get to know their mindset about money at a particular age. You could even find out what they think they lack, cos they are probably going to tell you they will buy a certain item. You as their parent can help them get the item.
21. Which animal at the zoo do you like best?
Kids love animals, and this is an opportunity to know what animal your kid likes more. You can even go ahead and ask them why.
22. If you could make up a school subject, what would it be?
With this question, you get to know how creative your kid is and also get to know what subject they dislike the most (if any).
23. If your friend is sad, what do you do to make them feel better?
Teaching your kid good morals is important and with this question, you can find out if they are actually learning anything from what you teach them.
24. What was the last thing that made you smile?
If your kid develops the habit of being angry all the time, this might just be the right question to ask to find out what is bothering them or what they are missing.
25. What is your favourite part about school? Your least favourite?
I can remember as a kid, I never liked going to school and I cried with every chance I get until one day a man asked me why I don’t want to go to school and I had to give him several reasons why.
That man asking me that question made me feel like someone actually cares to know why I was crying. And something changed after that day.
26. How do you make friends?
It’s important to know how your kid mixes up with other kids. And what kind of friends he’s making. If he’s the one picking his friends or they are the ones picking him.
27. Who makes you laugh the most?
This question helps them share with you whom their favourite person is. And what amuses them.
28. When was the last time you used the words “thank you”?
29. What’s your idea of a perfect playground?
30. If you had the opportunity to invent a new ice cream flavour, what would it be?
31. What is the silliest thing someone has ever said to you?
32. If you never had to eat one vegetable, which would it be?
Kids don’t usually like vegetables, we can all agree on that, this is how to find out which one your kid doesn’t like. And you can make them start eating it by telling them the benefits of eating it.
33. What is the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning?
34. Do you prefer cold weather or hot weather?
35. If you had a robot for the entire day, what would you ask it to do?
The answer to this question is probably going to be the worst chores they don’t like to do. It could be anything else too. The idea is to get to know more about your kid and you should be ready for plenty of funny replies but always take their response serious cos it shows you care.
First Date conversation starters
Going out with someone on a first date can be awkward especially if you don’t know what to say. After reading these first date conversation starters you will feel more confident in your dating adventures.
36. Tell me something most people don’t know about you.
This allows your date to tell you something about themselves nobody knows, this could be a secret. And it creates more connection between you two.
37. Do you cook? And what do you cook most?
38. What interests you the most
39. What was your childhood dream growing up?
40. What are you most passionate about?
41. Do you have any nickname? What is it?
42. What is your dream job?
43. What kind of music do you listen to?
44. What did you study?
45. What is the worst/best pick up line someone has ever used on you or you have ever used on someone?
46. What’s your all-time best music?
47. What was your favourite subject at school?
48. Who was your favourite teacher?
49. What kind of books do you enjoy reading
50. What’s your favourite movie/TV show
51. Who influenced you the more in your life?
52. What was growing up like as a kid?
53. Is there any talent you wished you had?
54. Where is your most favourite place in the world?
55. How do you normally spend your weekends?
56. As a kid, what do you like to do the most?
57. What motivates you?
Conversation Starters for couples
As couples, its easy to fall into a routine of having the same conversation all the time. With our conversation starters for couples, you will be able to spice things up a Lil bit and make it more fun.
58. What is your most favourite moment about our relationship?
59. What makes you most anxious?
60. Do you think arguing is part of a relationship?
61. What do I do that makes you smile
62. Is there anything about our relationship you would like to change?
63. Is there a dream you have always had?
64. Do you have a fantasy? And what is it?
65. How would you describe our relationship?
66. How would you describe me?
67. If we were to raise children, what are the most important things you would want them to learn?
68. What things do you consider to be relationship deal breakers?
69. What do you consider most romantic?
70. What are your fears
71. What do you think people need to know about each other before they get married?
72. What is the best or worst trait you inherited from your parents?
73. What is your funniest moment about our relationship?
74. Do you think you and I are similar? And in what way?
75. What do I do that comfort you the most?
76. What makes you feel discouraged?
77. If your life was a movie, which celebrity would play you?
78. Ever had a crush on someone? Who was it and why?
79. Has there been any significant event in your life that changed you or your view about life in general?
80. What three things do you want to be remembered for?
81. How has our relationship changed since we started dating?
It is always important to remember that no matter how good conversation starters are, it is only designed to get you off the ground but it can’t keep you in the air. If you rely on any conversation starter for far too long, you are bound to encounter a bunch of awkward pauses.
Once you feel connected, introduce yourself, ask another question or make a joke, this way you keep the conversation going.
Thank you for reading, if you like this post, click the share button. Sharing is caring.